Monday, January 10, 2011

Sleep training...

Ugh. I don't want to do it, but I think it needs to be done. He's waking up every hour at night needing someone to hold him and put him back to sleep. We hold him, put the paci back in, and then put him down and he's good. An hour later, we do it all over again. He needs to learn how to put himself to sleep and I'm not looking forward to it.

We had his six month appointment today. He weighs 17lbs, 8oz. That's a whole pound in one week, but I think it's because he had a wet diaper and he just ate 4oz right before we got there. That puts him in the 50th percentile. He is 27 1/2 inches long which puts him in the 80th percentile! And his head is 17 inches in the 50th percentile. He's growing great. His ear is better which is nice. She said he's working on his lower teeth which I already knew, but it could still take awhile for them to pop out. I hope it happens soon because I can tell they are really bothering him.

We told her about the sleep issues and she thinks he's playing us. Or using us rather. I totally agree. I know we created a monster. I knew that, but yet, I didn't do anything about it. I enjoy rocking him to sleep, but now we can't do that because it's really making things difficult. Nighttime is no fun here. Hearing him cry and wake up every hour is really wearing me thin. It takes all the fun out of being a mommy. He needs to learn how to sleep on his own.

We plan to let him cry, but I plan on checking on him. She suggested that I don't go in there, but I can't. I can't just let him think I've left him. I want him to know that I'm there. I won't pick him up and I won't make eye contact, but I plan on at least letting him know that mommy is there. Daddy can help too. I think we may start tonight, which I'm terrified about. Alex goes out of town tomorrow, so I will be left alone for the next two nights to attempt it alone. Ah! I don't know if I can do that. It may have to wait until he gets home.

No comments: