Tuesday, September 22, 2009

PCOS and Clomid...

It's been so long since I have posted on here. I still have to write about my honeymoon and post pictures!

Yesterday I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (pcos). I can't say that I am not surprised because I pretty much self diagnosed myself with this. No one believed me though. Alex and everyone else thought I was crazy. I didn't WANT it to be that, but I just had this feeling. I have been having really weird cycles (I am currently on day 39 of this cycle), and it just seems to be getting worse. After talking with the doctor yesterday and pretty much hearing that I am infertile I actually feel a little better because I have answers. Hearing that you pretty much cannot conceive without help was one of my fears, actually, I think it is every woman's fear. I didn't break down like I thought I would though. What's the point??

So, after a very good talk with my doctor we (Alex included) decided to start Clomid to help us get pregnant. It was a pretty easy decision although I was pretty hesitant at first. I didn't know much about it and automatically thought it would make me have multiples (3, 4, 5 babies) and I DID NOT want to run the risk of that. After talking with my doctor though I am apparently not the only one that thought this. Of course I didn't do much research about it because of this reason. My chance for twins doubles, but we would be okay with that. As long as we can have a healthy baby, two healthy babies would be just that much more of a blessing!!

Another upside to all of this is I do not have all the symptoms of pcos (thankfully). My ovaries are only slightly enlarged (one is 4 cm and the other is 4.5 cm - normal is 3.75 cm) and I do not have any cysts, which is very common with pcos. I do have the oily skin, acne (on and off) and it's a little bit difficult to lose weight, but I will take that over the latter (mustache, obese, hair falling out, etc.).

So - I am coming to terms with the fact that I am not ovulating and will need help getting pregnant. I just hope the clomid works on me. He seems to believe I will be pregnant in the next 3 months which would be amazing! The thought of that makes me very excited and giddy!

OH!!! I quit my job! I was basically headhunted by my previous employer at the Chamber of Commerce working as the Visitor Services Manager for the Convention and Visitors Bureau (that's a mouth full)! I put my two weeks notice in on the 11th of this month and will go back to work with the CVB on the 5th of October. I am VERYYYYYYY excited about this. I loved that job so much, but the pay wasn't there before. I will miss the people here at the law firm more than anything, and will still remain in contact with them - but I'm ready to go back to doing what I love!!

More to come later - I really want to write about our honeymoon which will be a series of 12 posts because I want to give each day and each stop it's own post. I thankfully kept a journal while on the cruise of what we did each day because there was SO much!!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I know quite a few ladies with PCOS who now have adorable 1 year olds! Its possible. Clomid has also dome wonders for a few friends as well. Good luck!!